We recently teamed up with BBC Watchdog to investigate high street stores and online marketplaces to find and put dangerous phone chargers to the test. Our results found that many of these retailers were selling substandard chargers that could potentially harm your phone and even lead to electric shocks.
Many of the chargers we tested were not meeting necessary safety standards and were manufactured in a way to cut costs and replicate the real deal. This meant that weaker materials were being used and in some cases, fuses were overlooked. This is a major hazard for chargers as poor components could result in a serious electrical shock, injury or fire.
One such person who has witnessed the dangers of dodgy chargers is Leicester based Shannon Penn. Shannon was gifted a phone charger by a friend from a market place in the city. Not long after plugging it in she was shocked to see the charger explode, burning the mains socket in her home (see image below).
read the full article here > https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/blog/beware-of-dodgy-phone-chargers-watchdog-investigation/