BS Standards and CE marks

I recently got a call out to a job where the MCB for the sockets circuit wouldn't stay on, the fault was traced to a recently fitted chrome socket outlet that the owner had installed. The socket had developed a direct line to neutral fault. On investigation it was apparent that the socket had no British Standard or CE marking and had been supplied via eBay  ( but not even cheaply )

Badly installed down lights

When installing down lights in your ceiling you should always take care to keep the fittings well away from the ceiling joists to avoid any potential fire risks from the heat of the lamps. On no account should you EVER cut the ceiling or floor joist to fit a down light. I came across this install today, 3 of the fittings were on the joists and the joists have been cut by around 3 inches and a piece of metal tacked in place in an attempt to fire proof it. The eagle eyed among you may also notice they are wired in with bell wire ....I'm speechless...

 

Beware of fake electricians posing as registered electricians!

A man has been jailed for carrying out dangerous work while posing as a registered electrician. John Draco, 35, of Rowan Place, Newton Aycliffe, pleaded guilty to fraud and consumer protection related offences after falsely claiming to be a qualified electrician. He advertised his services on Yell.com as accredited by ELECSA and Trustmark-despite not having either accreditation. He also claimed to be NICEIC registered.

Buy services from Local Businesses

Several studies have shown that when you buy from an independent, locally owned business, rather than a nationally owned business, significantly more of your money is used to make purchases from other local businesses, service providers, and farms — further strengthening the economic base of the whole community.

Bad Lighting? Banish the Gloom

Its that time of year, the nights have drawn in. Now's the time to consider your lighting needs to banish the gloom in your home.
We can offer all sorts of LED lighting for inside and out to brighten things up 
Chris Miller, your local electrician
Brickhill Electrical Services Ltd.
07515 861972

Electrical Fires

I'm sure you've heard of the Grand Designs house in Pembrokeshire that tragically burned down in January this year.

The was an electrical fire caused by an overloaded Junction Box, something you generally would not expect to find in the electrics of a New Build property. This highlights the importance of not cutting corners and using a local qualified electrician for your project to keep it safe and to ensure it is done properly.